Description: Seawind 960 - "Blue Frog", the perfect tropical cruiser.
"Blue Frog" is the perfect tropical sailboat. With a magnificent hard bimini that provides shade over the spacious cockpit and dining area, a large well ventilated outdoor table with seating on three sides, and 360 view for crew and guests, she is perfect for day sails or extended cruising in the tropics.
Blue Frog is for sale with all contents, ready to sail away... Almost. See below.
Blue Frog is the only Seawind 960 ever built. She was built in the Seawind factory in Sydney in 1991. She has identical interior accommodation to the Seawind 850, but the extended hulls and taller rig provide for greater sailing and blue water capability than the Seawind 850.
Originally built for charter, this vessel was modified slightly for private use. I am told it would not take much to return it to charter use.
The previous owner built the hard bimini, the bus-stop seat across the transom and the short prodder which has a continuous-line furler for extra headsails.
The bimini is strong enough to walk on, making access to the boom and mainsail safe and secure. It also has clears that roll down along the front, and installed along the sides. These effectively close in the cockpit area and provide protection from wind and rain.
Sails include a fully battened mainsail (2014) with 3 sets of reef points, a roller-reefing self-tacking jib (2018), roller-furling asymmetric kite (2019), a roller furling genoa (2nd hand, recut), and an ex-16 ft skiff spinnaker (2nd hand) in a bag for very light winds.
Originally with a single central outboard, Blue Frog now has dual 9.9HP Yamaha 4-stroke high-thrust long-leg outboards for manoeuvrability and reliability. The bimini provides a lifting point for the outboard motors, meaning it is a one-person job to lift an outboard from its well to the cockpit floor, and then use the boom to lift and swing the outboard onto the marina finger.
Hydraulic steering is from the helm positon on the starboard side. Emergency/manual tillers can be slotted into the top of the rudder stock at deck level. Unlike most Seawind 850s, the tiller connecting bar runs behind the aft beam, freeing up valuable cockpit space.
Accommodation consists of a cosy-double central, a generous single aft and the head/shower forward in the port hull. Starboard hull has a lengthy single forward, a generous single aft and the galley central.
Easily sailed single-handed, we used this boat extensively for weekend trips from Darwin. Blue Frog easily takes 12 people for day trips, or extended cruising with 5 adults. With crew we have done two Darwin-Ambon yacht races, including stops to islands such as Banda on the return journey. What an experience!!
Other equipment includes:
- 50m chain and 15 kg Rocna Anchor for main anchor.
- HighField CL310 3.1m inflatable dinghy (qualifies as 5 person life raft)
- Yamaha 4HP 2 stroke outboard for dinghy.
- 2 x 40 litre under floor stainless steel tanks.
- Honda EG 1000W 4 stroke genset (purchased in Indonesia)
- Waeco CF 30 ?? 12v fridge
- Electric head, with holding tank.
- 2 * 120 litre fresh water tanks.
- New Upholstery throughout in 2016 - still in as new condition.
- Vinyl covered cushions for outdoor areas
- 2 burner gas stove
- Stainless Steel gas barbecue on stern
- Fully fitted shadecloth cover for the entire vessel
Installed Electronics include;
- Raymarine A97,9"MFD Charter Plotter, 2017
- Raymarine Autopilot, inc fluxgate compass, 2017
- Raymarine AIS650 Class B Transceiver, 2017
- ICOM IC M801 125Watt HF radio with automatic antenna tuner, 2017
- Raymarine VHF radio
- ProFish 1000 Electric anchor winch makes anchoring effortless.
- Various solar panels with C-TEK MPPT charge controllers.
- Air-X 300W marine wind generator.
- Bluetooth AM/FM car stereo
- LED lights through out
Standing rigging replaced in 2018, including dolphin and seagull strikers.
ProFurl jib furler replaced and upgraded to C350 in 2020.
Trampolines replaced in Nov 2020.
Outboards - new in 2018 and 2021
Antifouled in October 2021.
Now the reality.... Poor Blue Frog is not in perfect condition, and she needs a bit of TLC, but not insurmountable. Just more than I have time for, as my priorities have changed.
No secrets here, as any prospective buyer will find these things on close inspection, so best to know what you are in for.
1. White ants. Blue Frog suffered a bit of a white ant invasion in 2020/21. Professional pest controllers have exterminated all sites. There are no active sites currently on board. Happy to share pest inspection reports.
The areas affected were primarily the non-structural timbers under the seats in the central nacelle, and a minor incursion into the forward area where the nacelle and hull are bolted together. There is no evidence of white ants in bulkheads or frames of the hulls.
The affected areas will need to be tidied up (i. E. Cut out), and re-glassed. All areas are flat panels that can be prepared outside the boat, then glassed in position.
I have suitable Divinycell foam core and glass fibre to do this job. I havent started it yet though. Anybody competent with fibreglass could do this job. Divinycell can go with the boat.
2. Cracks in the stainless steel bus-stop seat. Small cracks developed in the feet of the stainless bus-stop seat on the transom during the trip to Indonesia. The structure has been made sound with welds (poor quality) done in Indonesia, and additional rope support to the top of the bimini. These action secured the structure from further movement, and proved successful for the return trip from Indonesia in quite rough weather, and two years domestic sailing since. These welds needs to be tidied up, and perhaps another stainless tube member added to the structure to ensure it doesn't happen again.
3. Needs a paint job and/or polish. It's just time for a repaint. She looks a little tired. 4 litres of single part TopLac paint to do the bimini can go with the sale.
4. Unfinished Jobs in progress;
I started to redo the battery compartment area of the electrics. But haven't progressed very far. The electrics work as they are, but there is just one 12v lead acid battery currently installed, and somewhat temporary wiring. But it works. The following items I had planned to install, and can go with the boat:
- New batteries: 300 AHr 12V LiFePO4 batteries
- 2 x 100 AHr VoltaX batteries
- 2 x 55 (Actual) AHr ATOMIC (garbage) LiFePO4
- Simarine Digital Battery Monitor kit - AWESOME!! - Display, 300A shunt, 8x25A shunts
- New Ray Marine wind/speed indicators
- mast head fitting installed
- i60 wind speed/direction indicator - not fitted
- i50 TriData display - not fitted
- 2 x 200W Flexible Solar Panels - to replace existing ones that have perished
- 1 Victron charge controller MPPT 75 15 - not installed
- 2 no brand charge controllers MPPT 75 15 - not installed
- 100m or thereabouts of Dyneema, plus suitable thimbles, to replace all lifelines.
- all crockery, dishes plates, chattels, whatever,
- extra mooring lines, anchor ropes,
- spare parts - shackles, nuts, bolts, various fittings, outboard spares, etc
- 3m Savage Al dinghy and oars
- 50m chain and 23 kg ROCNA High Holding Power anchor (used for dry season mooring in Fannie Bay, NT)
- 8 x inflatable PFD
- spare 9.9 HP high thrust long shaft Yamaha outboard - ignition problems, so is U/S at the moment.
Blue Frog is currently lying in Bayview Marina, Darwin. I'd be happy to support the new buyer in any of the above tasks if it goes to a local buyer.
31' 6" - 9.60m
4 tonnes approximately
Keel / Ballast
Solid fibreglass stub keels.
9.9 HP High-Thrust Long-Leg 4 stroke outboards
2 x 9.9
Unknown. 400 hrs guess
2nd Engine Hrs
Unknown 120 hrs guess
8 knots under motor
Outboards x 2
Honda 1000W four stroke
2 x 40 litre underfloor tanks
2 x 120 litre
Sleeps 5 comfortably - one cosy double, and three generous singles.
Outside dining table drops down enabling a large outdoor double for camping. Works a treat with a mozzie net!
None really, open accommodation in each hull.
Stainless steel two-burner gas stove in galley, and an outdoor stainless barbecue on aft deck
None installed. Portable 12v Waeco included.
Above Waeco works as freezer also
Shower in head, and also transom shower. Cold water only. Perfect for the tropics
Electric with holding tank
Highfield 3.1m + Savage 3m Al
4HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Full fitted shadecloth + plus canvas sail boom cover, winch and steering wheel covers.
15kg and 23 kg Rocna
ProFish 1000 Free fall anchor winch
Lifering, SOS danbuoy, drogue
Manual x 2
Highfield inflatable dinghy qualifies as 5 person liferaft
2 onboard, 1 out of date, both batteries indicate still working.
8x inflatable PFD
One pack, possibly out of date.
Two manual dry powder fire extinguishers
Barracouta Sails: Main (2014), Self-tacking roller reefing jib (2018), furling asymmetric kite (2019)
Others: recut 2nd hand roller furling genoa, 2nd hand lightweight spinnaker (ex-16ft skiff)
Mast / Rigging
Single spreader with jumpers, non-rotating. Pin-supported allowing lowering of the mast without a crane.
Standing rigging replaced 2018
Profurl C350 twin slot furler, new 2020.
2 x Hutton-Arco Series 40 self-tailing, Australian made bullet-proof winches!
Comment from 2021 Insurance Survey : "Bluefrog overall was found to be structurally sound and in seaworthy condition, however generally presented in fair and worn condition, that could benefit from some care and cosmetic maintenance. "